With Faith, Family and Food

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Merry Heart

Merry Christmas!

No, it's not already December...although, I am convinced it comes a little sooner each year.  The phrase is just stuck in my head today.  Not really the Christmas part, as much as the Merry part.  You see, "merry" is not a word we hear or say often, except that final month of the year.  We spread our cheer by saying "Merry Christmas" around town, to loved ones, and at all the holiday parties.  But do we feel "merry" the other 11 months of the year.

Here's where I'm going with this.  While reading my Bible today I came across this verse...

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones."  Proverbs 17:22KJV

I like that verse.  I needed that verse.

In other versions it is said to be "a joyful heart" NASB and ESV, "a happy heart" AMP, "a cheerful heart" ASV.

I like all those hearts, especially the joyful one since that is what we are showing here.

I want a joyful, happy, cheerful and merry heart.  It is good for your soul, for those around you, your family, and it is like a medicine that makes you feel better.  But on the flip side, when you have a broken spirit that can dry up your life.  I have those days; we all have those days.  We are down, we are broken and it takes a toll on our bodies, our emotions, our strength.  

In the dictionary, one of the synonyms for merry is sunny.  Today it is sunny where I sit and look out the window, but it is bitterly cold.  Bad weather can zap us in a bad mood.  As can waking up to an all too early alarm clock, or a baby crying (which also happens a lot in our house these days), or facing problems and trials we just don't want to conquer.  But with a quick prayer for a merry heart, and the Lord's strength and guidance, it is possible to get that medicine we need to put on a smile, sing a song of praise, and conquer the day merrily.

I'm going to try to take my medicine more these days, the medicine of a merry heart, and see who I can show joy to in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment